This Ham Fried Rice is a delicious, fast, one-pan recipe that makes a perfect weeknight dinner. It’s better than take out and is incredibly simple to make. You’re going to love this!
We are huge fans of Ham Fried Rice around here. I could make it weekly and my boys would never complain. I love it not only because it’s delicious, but because it’s so easy to make and is on of those one-pot wonders that you all know I love.
It also is a great way to use leftover rice and ham if you ever have any chillin’ in your fridge.
What kind of ham should I use?
Really any ham will work here. You can use deli ham, leftover ham, ham that you buy already diced up, etc. There is no right or wrong answer here. I’ve used this leftover ham, thinly sliced deli ham that I’ve cut up, and pre-diced ham. Endless options here people.
What rice is best to use?
- One of the keys to remember when making ham fried rice is to make sure the rice COLD. Leftover cold, cooked rice is the key to making perfect fried rice. It will keep the fried rice from getting mushy and it helps create the perfect texture for fried rice. I always make extra rice so I have leftovers to use for this recipe.
- However, if you don’t have any cold rice, you can use hot rice, it just won’t give you the same result. When I haven’t had any leftover rice and I want to make fried rice, I have made some first thing in the morning and then put it in the fridge for the day.
- Also, my favorite rice to use when I make ham fried rice is sushi (or sticky) rice. I buy it in bulk at Winco and always keep plenty of it on hand.
So simple to make:
- Cook eggs. Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a large skillet. Add the eggs and cook until just done and then transfer to a plate.
- Sauté veggies and ham. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add peas & carrots and ham and sauté for a few minutes. Transfer to the same plate with the eggs.
- Rice. Add 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil to the pan over medium high heat. Add the rice and cook until it’s completely heated through. Add the soy sauce and toss until combined.
- Combine. Return eggs and veggies and ham to the pan, add the green onions and gently stir until combined.
Besides using cold rice, there is one more secret to getting amazing fried rice. . . sesame oil (toasted or regular). Please don’t go rogue on me and try using avocado, olive or even canola oil. The toasted sesame oil adds incredible flavor and the rice just isn’t the same without it. It’s pretty much a must-use for ham fried rice.
I love to cook mini egg rolls or potstickers when I make this rice.
Also, I have always disliked cooked peas and still really don’t like them, but I don’t mind them at all in ham fried rice. But if you just can’t stomach them, you could go ahead and use frozen carrots and even add some frozen corn if you’d like.
Doesn’t everyone need a go-to ham fried rice recipe? I think they do and I got your back today. You’re going to love this!Print