- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Lightly butter an 11×7 pyrex pan. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine milk and cream. Stir and then measure out 1 1/3 cups, pour into a large, heavy duty saucepan. Keep the remaining milk in the small saucepan over a low heat.
- Into the large pan with the milk/cream mixture, add the sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Make sure all the sugar is dissolved before the mixture comes to a boil. Wash down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to make sure there is no sugar on the sides. Bring mixture to a boil and continue cooking until a pale beige color.
- Add 1/2 of the remaining milk, and continue cooking for 15 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining milk mixture and continue stirring. As the mixture begins to thicken, pour in the 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk and continue cooking and stirring until mixture comes to a firm softball stage.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pan, making sure you DO NOT scrape the bottom of the pan. When the caramel has stopped flowing out, stop pouring.
- Let caramels cool completely before cutting into squares and wrapping in candy wrappers.
- Cook Time: 50 to 60 mins total
- Category: Candy