I’m going to be totally honest, there are some nights that I just don’t have my dinner game together. It can be 4:30 PM and I’ve got nothin’, nada, zilch, zero. No slow cooker cooking, no oven preheating, no chicken marinading or even thawing. I hate nights where my mind is completely blank and I have no idea what I’m going to fix for dinner.
Thankfully the other night wasn’t one of those nights and these Honey Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls are what graced our table. They were so simple quick and simple to throw together, especially with baseball season going on right now. They were a huge hit, no pun intended.
Now while these burrito bowls are completely fabulous, it’s really the chicken that’s the star of the show here. It’s so tender and juicy and the flavor is amazing. Super simple to make and the best part is you can make the marinade first thing in the morning and throw your chicken in a bag and let it marinade all day and soak up the yummy flavors.
These burrito bowls are so versatile. Feel feel to leave off an ingredient if it’s not your favorite and swap it out for something that is. If I would have had some grape tomatoes in my fridge the day I made these, I would have definitely chopped some of those up and thrown them on top. Next time I guess. Just throw in whatever you like, it’s your call.Print
Easy Homemade Burrito Bowls are so simple, fresh and completely fabulous!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ((or canola or vegetable will work too))
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Juice of 2 large limes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 clove garlic (, finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3–4 large chicken breasts
- BURRITO BOWLS:
- Cooked rice (, (brown or white, about 3-4 cups, depending on how much you want in your bowl))
- 1 can black beans (, heated)
- Grated Cheese
- Avocado slices
- Fresh pineapple (, chopped)
- Fresh cilantro (, chopped)
- Cafe Rio Dressing (, optional)
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a Ziploc bag and add chicken. Massage bag well to coat all chicken pieces with marinade. Marinate for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Grill chicken over medium high heat until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from grill and cover with foil. Let sit for 5 minutes. Cut into pieces.
- Assemble rice bowls by spooning rice into the bottom of bowls, then top with grilled chicken, black beans, avocado slices, corn, grated cheese and pineapple. Drizzle with Cafe Rio dressing, if desired.
I didn’t list measurements for the rice bowl ingredients because it’s just one of those recipes where you put in the desired amount. If you don’t like one of the ingredients listed, then leave it out or swap it for something you like. These are so versatile, so feel free to change things up a bit.