These Honey-Wheat Dinner Rolls are tender, fluffy, hearty and have just the perfect amount of sweetness. Simple to make and perfect for holiday dinners or any weeknight meal.
We are a bread-loving family around here, so anytime I make rolls or bread I can guarantee they’re going to get eaten.
I can also guarantee that each slice of bread or roll eaten by my boys will be slathered in a combination of butter, raspberry jam, honey butter, peanut butter and/or Nutella. What can I say, I have smart boys.
These Honey-Wheat Dinner Rolls have been a huge hit with all of us. Tender, soft, slightly sweet and perfectly fluffy, these rolls have become a favorite.
If you’re looking for a new roll recipe to try for your Easter dinner, you need to give these a try.
Seriously so simple to make and kind of hard to mess up.
SHOULD MY DOUGH BE THIS STICKY?
Yes, this is a sticky dough. Please don’t add more flour. Just take a deep breath, relax and trust that it will come together and work. A quick explanation of why you want a wet dough is this. . . whole wheat flour contains a lot of healthy bran, but bran is so sharp that is cuts the strands of gluten that give bread its height and structure. To stop the bran from doing that, it needs to be softened. Keeping the dough wet softens the bran and allows the rolls to be fluffy.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY-WHEAT DINNER ROLLS:
- Combine warm milk, honey, melted butter and egg in a large glass measuring cup. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, mix both flours, yeast and salt. Mix on low until combined.
- Slowly add the milk mixture and mix until combined (dough will be sticky).
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover and let rise.
- Punch down dough and divide into 16 portions. Shape into balls and place in a greased 9×13-baking dish.
- Let rise until doubled in size. Brush with milk and bake at 400 degrees about 20 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter and honey mixture when they come out of the oven.
Give these a try and I promise you will love them!
Oh and my raspberry honey butter is amazing on these rolls!
Recipe Source: The Best of America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook 2013