This Hot Chocolate Affogato with Peppermint Ice Cream is the most decadent and delicious way to warm up. Peppermint ice cream drowned in a rich hot chocolate and topped with whipped cream and crushed candy cane. I’m in love!
♡ 12 DAYS OF SUGAR – DAY 8 ♡
Wow, we are already on DAY 8 and it is a winner! This Hot Chocolate Affogato with Peppermint Ice Cream is one of the most luscious cups of hot chocolate you might ever drink.
This holiday dessert/drink features peppermint ice cream drowned in hot cocoa! It is incredible!
I had never heard of affogato until I ran across this recipe. So if you’re like me and wondering what it is, I’m happy to tell you.
Affogato is an Italian dessert of vanilla ice cream or gelato that is basically drowned in espresso or coffee. But in this case, we’re taking a few liberties and using peppermint ice cream and drowning it in the most decadent hot chocolate.
It’s simplicity at its finest and the perfect beginning or end to any meal.
Just a few simple ingredients for the most delicious cup of hot chocolate:
- Whole milk
- Whipping Cream
- Vanilla bean paste
- Chocolate Chips
- Peppermint ice cream
It’s pure chocolate bliss in a mug and I could easily drink this daily and never get tired of it. I love hot chocolate fiercely you guys and this stuff is magical!
Can I use other flavors of ice cream?
Of course! Peppermint is the perfect flavor to use during the holidays and pairs so well with chocolate. But try any of your favorite flavors of ice cream. . . coffee, chocolate chip, vanilla, cookie dough, etc.
I had about five minutes to snap photos and trust me when I say these pictures don’t even do this justice. This is a hot chocolate lover’s dream come true!
A few tips for the best hot chocolate affogato:
- Use good quality chocolate chips. Guittard, Ghirardelli or Nestles are always my choices. This hot chocolate will only be as good as the chocolate chips you use. You can even use a semisweet chocolate bar, chopped.
- Get it hot. The hot chocolate will obviously cool down once you add a scoop of peppermint ice cream to it, so be sure to make sure your hot chocolate is simmering in the pan when you pour it into your mug.
- Don’t forget the whipped cream. Makes this even more delectable and delicious.
Hot Chocolate Affogato with Peppermint Ice Cream
- Total Time: 43 minute
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 chilled heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, or pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups good quality semisweet chocolate chips, like Guittard or Ghirardelli
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Peppermint or mint chip ice cream
- Crushed candy canes, optional
- Combine milk, cream, sugar, salt in a large heavy saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until well combined. Add vanilla bean paste.
- Bring to a simmer and continue stirring to make sure sugar is dissolved. Add chocolate chips and cocoa and whisk until chocolate melts and mixture just comes to a low boil.
- Whip remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream with 2 tablespoons sugar until soft peaks form.
- Scoop ice cream into mugs and pour hot cocoa into cups. Top each with a small dollop of whipped cream and garnish with crushed candy cane, if desired.
- Store any leftovers covered in the fridge and reheat on the stovetop.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 to 10 mins
Recipe Source: Adapted from Bon Appetite
Leave a Reply