This Instant Pot Cafe Rio Sweet Pork is tender, sweet and absolutely delicious. Perfect for tacos, enchiladas, burritos and salads. You will be in love!
Do you have an Instant Pot?
Have you been on the fence about buying one?
I finally jumped on the Instant Pot band wagon a few months ago when Amazon had a killer deal on them. It actually sat in my cupboard for several weeks gathering dust until I finally got brave enough to give it a try. Let me just say I am in love with it. There is definitely a learning curve, but I am getting the hang of it and loving it more and more each time I use it.
For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of ever eating at Cafe Rio, let me offer you my condolences. If you’re lucky enough to live by one then you know how fabulous it is. We are huge Cafe Rio fans and the pork is our very favorite meat there. I had tried several copycat recipes and finally found one that is the closest to the real deal. I made a few slight adjustments and it quickly became my go-to recipe.
I’ve made this Cafe Rio Sweet Pork in my slow cooker for years (I can’t believe I’ve never posted it. . . so sorry!). The the other day I realized how simple it would be to turn it into an Instant Pot recipe so I tried it and voila, a star was born.
We use this to make the famous Cafe Rio Pork Salad, tacos, quesadillas, burritos, etc. We can’t get enough of it. Now it goes without saying that having the Cafe Rio dressing to go along with this is an absolute must. So I always make sure I have a batch of that made up.Just look how amazing that pork is. It’s sweet, juice and so tender. You will want to make this over and over. I will definitely be posting more Instant Pot recipes and you have any to share, I’d love to try them.Print
- 3 lb. pork roast
- 1 cup Coke
- 1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce (mild or medium, I use mild)
- 1 can (4oz) diced green chilies
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar (you can use less if you don’t want it super sweet)
- Cut your pork roast into 4 or 5 chunks and place in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the Coke, enchilada sauce, green chllies and brown sugar.
- Pour 1 cup of this over the pork. Set aside the remaining sauce for later.
- Secure the lid on your Instant Pot and select manual and cook at high pressure for 50 minutes. Let your Instant Pot do a natural release for about 15-20 minutes.
- Shred pork and remove about 3/4 cup of the liquid from the Instant Pot and discard. Pour in the reserved liquid you made earlier and stir.
- Use for burritos, tacos, enchiladas, or salads.
I have used a pork sirloin roast and a boneless pork picnic roast, either one works fine.
After the pork has cooked, I like to remove some of the liquid from the Instant Pot because it become slightly “watered down” from all the steam. After I drain about 3/4 cup our, I then add the reserved liquid to the pork.
I’ve never posted my slow cooker version of this which is kind of criminal, but anyway, if you don’t have an instant pot then you can use a slow cooker by placing the whole pork in your slow cooker with about 1 cup of coke and 1/4 cup of water. Cook for 7-8 hours on low or 4-5 on high (or until pork shreds easily). Remove pork and shred, drain juice from slow cooker and return shredded pork to slow cooker. Pour the sauce you made in the blender over pork and cook on low for about another 45-60 minutes.
Recipe Source: Adapted from Favorite Family Recipes