Delicious, simple, and comforting, this Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup will become a family favorite. Plus, it can also be made on the stovetop.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (32 oz) container chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds (about 3 medium) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 oz) Ro-Tel tomatoes (mild or regular)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or any cheese you’d like)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- sliced green onions, tortilla chips
Instant Pot Directions:
- Using the saute function, heat the butter and saute the onion, red pepper and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, enchilada sauces, chicken, corn, pinto beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10-15 minutes before using quick release for the remaining pressure.
- Add the cheese and sour cream and stir until melted. Garnish with desired toppings.
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chicken, onion, red bell pepper and garlic. Cook mixture for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the broth, both enchilada sauces, corn, pinto beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder. Stir until combined. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese and sour cream and stir until melted.
- Garnish with desired toppings.
I usually make this in my Instant Pot, but I’ve also included stovetop directions.
- Category: Soups/Chili