These Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas are seriously delicious! The chicken and homemade enchilada sauce are all done in your Instant Pot resulting in the most flavorful and delicious chicken enchiladas ever!
The holidays are over which means we can/should finally get back to eating somewhat “healthy” (I use that term loosely) around here. We ate our fair share of goodies around here and I’m not at all sorry about it.
I’m starting the new year off with these amazing Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas. Mexican food is probably one of the most loved foods around our house. Tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc. . . .we love it all! When I saw the recipe for these Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas, I knew I had to make them because one, Mexican food (duh!) and two, the meat is made in your Instant Pot, which is an added bonus, right?
The chicken and homemade enchilada sauce for these enchiladas are both done in the instant pot which makes for a really simple meal. And because the chicken is cooked right in the homemade enchilada sauce, it’s tender and super flavorful.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN ENCHILADAS:
- Start by sautéing the onions, garlic and jalapeño in your Instant Pot. Then add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, seasonings and the sugar. Give it a good stir and then nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce. Cook for 10 minutes on high pressure, then do a natural release for 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set aside to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes. Once slightly cooled, shred the chicken.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, 1/2 the sauce and 1/2 the cheese.
- Fill your tortilla shells with the chicken mixture, roll up and place seam side down in prepared pan.
- Cover with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro if desired and enjoy!
These are honestly so delicious! They are the perfect meal to ring in the new year with.
A FEW TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT CHICKEN ENCHILADAS:
- You can use flour or corn tortillas with these, either one are delicious. If you do use corn tortillas, make sure you warm them first to make them more pliable (I just warm a few at a time in my microwave). If you don’t warm them, they will crack and fall apart when you try and roll them up.
- If you want to make/assemble these enchiladas ahead of time make them up to the point where they are rolled and placed seam side down in your pan. Cover them tightly with foil or saran wrap and put them in the fridge. When you’re ready to bake them, take them out of the fridge, remove the foil and pour the sauce over the top followed by the cheese. You might have to bake them a few minutes longer since they were in the fridge. Pouring the sauce on them too soon before baking them can make the tortilla shells become soggy.
- These are delicious as is, but feel free to top them with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, shredded lettuce, cafe rio dressing, or any other of your favorite toppings.
Happy New Year!!🎉Print
Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 enchiladas 1x
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 /4 cup of finely diced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts ( about 3 medium sized breasts)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- 12 corn or flour tortillas (*see note)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (sharp cheddar is also really good)
- 2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
- Set Instant Pot to Saute and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Saute onions, garlic and jalapeño until onions start to soften and turn translucent, 2-3 minutes. Hit cancel to turn off the saute mode. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, sugar, cumin, salt and pepper to Instant Pot and stir to combine. Add chicken breasts to Instant Pot and nestle into the sauce. Close lid and set Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When time is up, let it do a natural release for 5 minutes. Carefully turn pressure release valve to release remaining steam. Open lid and remove chicken breasts and set aside to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes, then shred.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro into enchilada sauce in your Instant Pot. Spread about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce from the Instant Pot on the bottom of your sprayed baking dish.
- In a large bowl, toss together the shredded chicken, 1/2 of the remaining enchilada sauce and 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Mix until well combined. Fill the 12 tortillas with the chicken mixture and roll each one up placing seam side down into the prepared baking dish.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over rolled enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through and hot and bubbly. Remove from oven, take off foil and sprinkle with additional cilantro if desired. Serve with sour cream
- Sprinkle with additional fresh cilantro and serve with sour cream.
- If using corn tortillas warm a few at a time in the microwave so they are more pliable. I love corn tortillas, but most of the time I use flour when making enchiladas because they hold up so much better and are easier to roll. It’s definitely a personal preference here. Use whatever you like best.
- Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Main Dishes
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from No.2 Pencil
Leave a Reply