- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 cans (14 oz) chicken broth
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, uncooked and diced
- 1 package (6 oz) Uncle Ben’s Long Grain & Wild Rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- Select the sauté function and add butter to your Instant Pot. Once the butter has melted, add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, wild rice, salt, pepper, herbes de provence, red pepper flakes, parsley and bay leaf to the pressure cooking pot.
- Lock lid in place, select manual high pressure for 5 minutes. When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker and allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then finish with a quick pressure release. Carefully remove the lid.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water. Switch Instant Pot to sauté mode and add the cornstarch mixture to the pot, stirring constantly.
- Add cubed cream cheese, milk and half and half and heat through, but do not bring to a boil. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. (Don’t forget to remove the bay leaf.)
- Serve in crusty bread bowls or with some good artisan bread.
- I always start with 1 cup of milk and then if I want it a little thinner, I add more.
- You DON’T use the seasoning packet that comes with the rice. You could if you wanted to I guess, but I like to add my own seasoning.