This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Pasta is absolutely fantastic! So simple to make and is done from start to finish in about 20 minutes. Your whole family will love it!
I love when my family or friends send recipes my way that they have tried and loved! So a huge shoutout to my cute cousin Alicia who steered me in the direction of this delicious Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Pasta.
This pasta is pretty much a game changer if you need dinner ASAP. It’s done start to finish in about 20 minutes. It’s ridiculously easy throw together and will make weeknight dinners a breeze!
Funny story about this pasta . . . when I made this the other night my son and daughter-in-law stopped for a minute. They both tasted this pasta and absolutely loved it and decided right then they were making it the next night for dinner. Fast forward to the next night and I get a text from Kaylee . . . here’s our texting conversation (Kaylee’s texts are in black, mine are in blue):
So moral of the story is, always make sure you have all the ingredients before you make something.😂
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CREAMY TOMATO PASTA:
- Add the noodles to your instant pot.
- Next pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Press any noodles into the liquid that might not be covered.
- Add the pasta sauce, garlic powder, salt, dried basil, and red pepper flakes. DON’T STIR!
- Put the lid on and cook on manual/high pressure for five minutes.
- Once the cooking time is up, do a quick release and stir the pasta. Let it sit for several more minutes, stirring occasionally for the noodles to absorb some of the extra sauce.
- Serve immediately.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS PASTA:
- Make sure you follow the directions as written, including placing the ingredients into your Instant Pot in the order they’re listed. This will help ensure the noodles don’t stick and that the cream and pasta don’t burn. It’s also important not to stir.
- I have made this with mini penne and regular size penne and definitely prefer the regular size. The mini penne didn’t seem to soak up the sauce well enough.
- Yes, you can use gluten free noodles for this recipe and it should turn out great.
- Use a good quality, good tasting pasta/marinara sauce. I love the Victoria brand marinara sauce from Costco.
Serve it with a green salad and some good bread and you’ve got a stellar meal!
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Pasta
- 8 Ounces penne pasta (or rotini or ziti will work)
- 1 1/4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/4 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Red pasta or Marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Shredded or grated Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh basil
- Place the pasta noodles into the liner of the Instant Pot. Pour the chicken broth and heavy cream over the noodles. Press the noodles down so they’re mostly covered by liquid.
- Next pour in the pasta sauce and top it with the garlic powder, salt, dried basil, and red pepper flakes. Don’t stir!
- Close the lid, and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. After the time is up, do a quick release.
- Stir the noodles and sauce and let sit for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring every so often so pasta can absorb the sauce.
- Season with more salt it needed and top with your favorite cheese and fresh basil.
- Category: Pasta
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Berly’s Kitchen
Hi, wondering if you can make this without an instant pot? Thank you!
Hi Mary! I haven’t made this any other way than my instant pot, so I honestly can’t say if this would work in a regular pan. This family favorite pasta has a very similar creamy red sauce, so you could make this and leave out the sausage if you want it meatless.
Hi Jody, okay, I will try that one instead…thank you for getting back to me. I make your recipes all the time—they are the most delicious I have ever found!!
You’re welcome. So happy you make my recipes, thank you!
The sauce broke because of the intense heat of the instant pot.
I have to wonder if this was even kitchen tested before being posted.
Bob, I’m sorry this didn’t work for you. If you read the comments, you will see how many people love this and it’s worked for them. I don’t post recipes unless I’ve tested them, so your comment wasn’t very fair.
This is SOOOOO good. We have made it 5 times in a month, and today my 2nd grader told his entire class about it. His teacher sent me a text asking for the recipe.:) It’s that good! Keep the recipes coming!
Amie, your comment truly made my day, thank you so much for letting me know. I’m so happy you love this pasta!! We all agree at our house that it is soooo good! I love that your 2nd grader told his entire class (lol)! Thanks for putting a smile on my face! Take care.
Have you ever doubled the amount of pasta used to a full 16 oz box? Would I then double everything else? New to using an instant pot here!
Hi Olivia, I haven’t doubled the pasta ever, but if you do, you need to double the rest of the ingredients as well. You DO NOT need to double the cooking time. Also, make sure you don’t fill the Instant Pot more than 2/3 full.
This recipe is AMAZING!! I made this for my kids and their friends that came over. I doubled it to begin with so I could use the whole box of pasta,. I had to make a second batch. They all LOVED it! My very picky daughter told me I think that was the best pasta you ever made. I halved the red pepper flakes to keep it very kid friendly and it was the perfect amount to give it flavor but not too much kick. I kept refilling my plate too Thank you Jodi!
Lisa, I am so happy to hear you loved this pasta. We are so in love with this pasta too and I love how easy it is to make. Hearing comments like yours are what keep me motivated to keep this blog going. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.
My picky family loved it, thank you!
Jennifer, I am so happy to hear your picky family loved this! Thanks for letting me know!
Great recipe! My super picky eaters love it.
Thanks Angie! I think the best thing about this recipe is that picky eater love it! Thanks for letting me know.
Could I make this in a crock pot ?
Hi Shainy, I’ve never made this in a slow cooker, so I don’t know how it would turn out.
Its super easy and delicious!
Thanks! So happy you loved it!
When I had my first kid 6 1/2 years ago, the day we brought him home from the hospital our friend brought over a pasta that tasted just like this one!!! We loved it! Since then I’ve been trying to recreate what she made (I think she mixed alfredo sauce and diced tomatoes together). It always ends up tasting nothing like what she made until I made this today!!! Such a dream come true haha!
I subbed full fat coconut milk for the heavy cream and it was super good! Thanks for the recipe! It’s a keeper 🙂
Great idea! So glad to know that works and is still delicious!
Hi Laura! Thanks for letting me know. It’s always nice to hear of substitutions that work and taste delicious still.