This Instant Potato Soup is creamy, delicious, and incredibly simple. It’s one of those feel-good, hearty and comforting dinners. Topped with bacon, cheese and green onions, you’re going to love it!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped cooked bacon
- Freshly chopped green onions
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté function and melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add potatoes and broth and place lid on Instant Pot. Set to manual high pressure for 7 minutes. Once finished, turn valve to quick release.
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons milk and cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Remove lid from Instant Pot and set to Sauté function again. Pour in slurry, remaining 1 cup milk, heavy cream and shredded cheese, and let boil about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add dried parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste (Will definitely need some! I usually do about 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt).