- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, divided
- 1 lb mini shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 carton (24-oz) cottage cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or colby jack)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 1 jar (26 oz) spaghetti sauce (I like Prego)
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, in medium skillet, cook ground beef and onion. Drain and stir in salt, garlic salt and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cooked pasta, 3 cups of the shredded cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley and remaining pepper. Stir gently until well mixed. Pour into a greased 9×13 pan. Top with meat mixture and then spread spaghetti sauce on top. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and then the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350° uncovered for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
I’ve made this with medium-size shell pasta and the mini-size and I would definitely recommend the mini. The bigger shells seem to soak up too much of the moisture making this casserole a little on the dry side. If you can find the mini shells, absolutely use them. Barilla makes a mini shell pasta that I absolutely love.
- Category: Main Dishes