These Layered Caramel Crunch Brownies are pure insanity! They are so much more than your typical brownie. Crispy caramel, nougat and chocolate. . . definitely ridiculous!
How about some brownies today for Day 5 of this sugar extravaganza? But not just any brownies.
How does a layer of brownie, crispy caramel, nougat and chocolate sound?
Have I got your attention?
To say these are just a brownie would be a huge injustice. They are so much more than your ordinary brownie. Oh my heck, they’re just flat out ridonkulous!
We were all completely smitten over these.
My son took a plate of these to church a couple weeks ago and passed them out after he taught his class. Well all the young men in the hallway that weren’t in his class saw them being passed out, ran over, and the plate was empty in about 7.3 seconds.Now these brownies do take a little bit of time to make, but every layer really is simple and definitely worth the time.
If you’re wanting something completely over the top, these brownies are for you.Print
Four-Layer Caramel Crunch Brownies
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
Caramel Crunch Layer:
- 68 caramels, unwrapped (I use Kraft)
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk (divided)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 pkg. ( 12 oz) package chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside.
- BROWNIE LAYER: In medium saucepan melt butter and unsweetened chocolate. Remove from heat add flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, and eggs. Stir until well combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until edges start to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- For caramel layer, in a large microwave-safe bowl combine caramels, 2 tablespoons of the evaporated milk, and the water. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) about 2 to 3 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in rice krispies. Carefully spread caramel mixture evenly over brownie layer in pan, spreading to edges. Place pan in freezer while preparing nougat layer.
- For nougat layer, in a medium saucepan combine the remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar, the remaining evaporated milk, and the 1/3 cup butter. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat to medium- low and boil at a low, steady boil stirring for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large heatproof bowl combine marshmallow creme and peanut butter. Remove cooked nougat mixture from heat. Gradually whisk cooked nougat mixture into marshmallow creme and peanut butter until combined. Pour marshmallow mixture over caramel layer, evenly spread to edges. Place pan in freezer while preparing chocolate layer.
- For chocolate layer, in a small saucepan add chocolate chips, 3 tablespoons butter, and 1/3 cup whipping cream. Stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over nougat layer, spreading to edges. Cover loosely and chill for 2 hours. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut brownies out of pan.
For the chocolate layer you can use either semisweet or milk chocolate chips, it’s totally a personal preference. The recipe called for semisweet, but I like to use milk chocolate chips or a combination for both.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Brownies & Bars
Recipe Source: Adapted from a BHG Brownies & Bars Magazine
Leave a Reply