This Lemon Cream Angel Food Dessert is light, refreshing and perfect for summer! It’s so simple to make and can be made ahead of time. It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion.
If you’ve been looking for a simple, new, delicious dessert to make, then look no further. This Lemon Cream Angel Food Dessert is heavenly, creamy, and absolutely fantastic.
It’s slightly messy looking and might not be the prettiest dessert out there, but it’s cool, refreshing and pretty phenomenal. It’s the perfecting ending to any meal.
I’ve shared with you before that I have a slight obsession with cookbooks & cooking magazines, and because of that I’ve accumulated quite a recipe collection over the years. It’s actually ridiculous how many recipe books, magazines, cards, newspapers I’ve collected over the years. For years I would religiously watch our local noon news so I could see what recipes were being made that day. My favorite recipes were always from Fred Wix (the Gabby Gourmet) on channel 2 and Sharon Kofford and Alisa Bangerter who were on channel 5. (If you live in Utah, do those names ring a bell?).
After the recipes demonstrations aired, they would be printed up on recipe cards that you could find at Dan’s Foods, a local grocery store. My collection of those recipe cards grew to an absurd number, and I’ve kept them all to this day. I blame this habit all on my mom.
I pulled out that recipe card collection the other day and couldn’t help feel a little nostalgic. . . talk about a blast from the past. I ended up setting aside several that I want to make because it’s been way to long, or I never made them. This Lemon Cream Angel Food dessert was one of those recipe cards I pulled out. This recipe aired on May 12, 1999. . . feels like just yesterday, but also a lifetime ago.
The instructions on most of these recipes cards are hilarious because they are extremely vague and poorly written. Let me just say if I posted a recipe with instructions like some of these recipe cards, I’d get a lot of hate emails and probably lose some followers (lol).
This Lemon Cream Angel Food Dessert needed a little tweaking with instructions, and I also made just a few adjustments to the recipe. The end results is pretty phenomenal and I think you’ll agree. Angel food cake, smothered in a delicious lemony, whipped cream mixture, which BTW includes sweetened condensed milk – YUM!
This is simple to make, it’s refreshing and requires no oven being turned on (unless you make your own angel food cake – but why would you?
Let’s talk about angel food cake:
You really can use any sort of angel food cake for this recipe; homemade, store-bought, a prepared box mix or even angel food cake loafs. I always opt for the store-bought because I think they’re just as good as a homemade and they are a huge timesaver. Besides that, it’s been triple digits here and I am not about to turn my oven.
A few tips for making this dessert:
- This dessert needs to chill overnight, so make sure you plan ahead and make it the night before.
- When you’re laying half the angel food cake cubes on the bottom of the dish, it’s not going to fill it completely and that’s OK, that’s how it is supposed to be. Just spread the cubes evenly and call it good and walk away.
- The store-bought angel food cake I always buy is 13 oz. If you make a prepared box mix, you will only need to use about 3/4 of the baked angel food cake.
- When spreading the whipped cream layer over the angel food cake cubes, make sure you cover all the cake cubes as best as you can.
- Fresh raspberries are our favorite berry to garnish this with, but any berries will be delicious – strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or use a mixture of all berries.
- If you’re feeling daring, go ahead and whip some extra cream and put a dollop or two on top. It’s definitely not necessary, but can you ever have too much whipping cream on a dessert?