- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter a 2-quart souffle dish. I use one like this. An 8×8 glass pan would work as well.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice and zest.
- Add milk and flour and mix until well combined.
- Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter into the buttered dish. Place the dish in a pan of water, with water coming up the sides of the souffle dish at least a 1/2 inch). Place inside the oven and bake until the cake is set, about 45-50 minutes (the very center will still be slightly jiggly, it will set up as it cools.)
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- This is delicious warm or cold. Store in refrigerator.
- Category: Desserts