This Lemon-Lime Ice Cream is so refreshing, simple to make and the perfect end to a meal on a hot summer night. It’s so, so good!
Remember when I mentioned the other day that I tend to go on a lemon and/or lime frenzy during the hot summer months?
I really wasn’t lying.
Today I bring you Lemon-Lime Ice Cream, a childhood favorite, that I’m so excited to share with you.
This ice cream is so refreshing, it’s perfect for these hot summer days that we’re all probably experiencing right now. My mom found this recipe in the newspaper probably 30+ years ago and I’m pretty sure she probably still has the original newspaper clipping of it. It’s one that my whole family loves.
I forget how much I love it until I make it, take a bite and then I’m asking myself why I don’t make it more often.
The other night we scooped some of this ice cream into waffle cones and now we’ve all decided there is no going back and we don’t know if we can ever eat homemade ice cream again without a waffle cone, especially this lemon-lime ice cream. #waffleconesforever
TIPS FOR MAKING LEMON-LIME ICE CREAM:
- Use heavy whipping cream. I think it makes all the difference in this ice cream.
- Please make sure you use fresh lemon and lime juice. Fresh is so much better than the bottled stuff. Resist that temptation to use bottled stuff!
- I make this in my Cuisinart 2-quart Ice Cream Maker. If you want to use a larger ice cream maker (like a 4-quart or 6-quart) then double or triple it.
- This ice cream doesn’t get much firmer than “soft serve” ice cream, so if you want it to be firmer, make it several hours ahead of time (or even the day before)and place it in a container and freeze it for several hours.
- Place a piece of plastic right up against the ice cream before putting the lid on the container. This helps keep ice crystals from forming on top of the ice cream.
- Pleeeease make sure you have waffle cones on hand and dish yourself up some of this ice cream in a waffle cone. . . you can thank me later.
OTHER HOMEMADE ICE CREAMS YOU WILL LOVE:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups half & half (or whole milk)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl or measuring cup (you want something easy to pour out of) combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Chill in the fridge for a few hours or until cold.
- Pour into ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve immediately or store in the freezer until ready to serve.
- Store in an air tight container with plastic placed right up against the ice cream before putting a lid on the container.
- Category: Desserts