- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cups butter flavored shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Lemonheads, crushed (measure, then crush)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice* (or enough to get a thin consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening, and eggs; add vanilla and lemon extract. Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Coarsely crush Lemonheads in blender or food processor (you want some pieces, not crushed to a powder). Add to cookie dough and mix until combined.
- Roll into balls, flatten just slightly with your hand, and bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet (You need to use parchment or silpat liners to avoid sticking).
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (cookies will be crackly on top and slightly puffy). Let cookies cool on pan for a couple of minutes.
- Make the glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice to desired consistency. Brush glaze over cookie tops after cookies have cooled slightly.
If you don’t want a strong lemon flavor, you can also use hot water in place of some or all of the lemon juice in the glaze.
- Category: Cookies