If you love baked potatoes, then you’re going to love this Loaded Baked Potato Soup. It’s seriously amazing and so simple to make.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch dressing mix (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 12 slices bacon cooked, crumbled and divided
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash the potatoes and prick several times with a form. Place on cookie sheet and bake for about an hour or until done. Cool and then cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp. Throw away the skins.
- In a 3-4 quart stockpot, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly so the flour doesn’t brown.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly and cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Reduce the heat to medium low and stir in the potatoes, salt, pepper, ranch dressing mix (if using), 1 cup of the cheese, 1 cup of the bacon. Cook until the mixture is well heated, but not boiling.
- Just before serving, stir in the sour cream mix until well combined and heat until hot but not boiling.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with remaining cheese, bacon and green onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
My boys love to put ranch dressing on their baked potatoes so I decided to throw in some dry ranch dressing mix. This is totally optional and you don’t have to, the flavor is not by any means overpowering, in fact if you didn’t know it was in there, you probably wouldn’t even be able to taste it.
- Category: Soup