This Low Fat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is so unbelievably good! Simple to make and no one will ever guess it’s on the healthier side of things.
Before we talk about this Low Fat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, I have to give a shout-out to my husband Rich and wish him a HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY! (I can’t even believe I’m saying that!) How in the heck did he get to be 50? He’s a half-century old (it sounds kinda harsh when you put it that way)! Anyway, he is a pretty cool guy if you ask me, and I couldn’t be luckier! He’s the best dad and husband ever and I love him with all my heart! So happy birthday Rich! I’m really, really glad I’ve still got a few years before I hit that milestone honey!
It’s that time of year again where people’s gardens will be overflowing with gigantic, over-grown zucchini and zucchini recipes will be popping up all over the place. I happen to love zucchini and any recipes requiring zucchini. . . especially baked goods! I haven’t planted zucchini for the last few years, because my father-in-law has kept me well supplied.I have a recipe on my site that is my favorite, go-to zucchini bread recipe, but I decided to attempt a “lightened-up”, healthier version. It’s pretty amazing if you ask me. I had my friend Heather give it a taste test and she couldn’t believe it was low fat and low sugar. It’s so moist and unbelievably good, well, that is when you remember to put the sugar in it (yes, I made it one time and forgot the sugar. . . that loaf ended up in the garbage!).
Now about the brown sugar and chocolate chips on top, it just takes this bread to the next level. It gives the bread a sugary, crusty top that is so, so good. I know I’m claiming this to be “healthier”, so if you want to leave it off, go ahead. But really, what’s a little extra brown sugar and chocolate chips going to hurt?Print
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- Topping: ((optional))
- 2–3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine both flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and chocolate chips. Whisk together until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, and applesauce. Mix well and pour into dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Add zucchini, stirring until just combined. **If desired, sprinkle top brown sugar and milk chocolate chips. (Totally optional, but highly recommended)
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.
Feel free to leave the chocolate chips out of this if you’re not a fan or wanting it to be even healthier. I love adding just a few semi-sweet chocolate chips because I love the texture and flavor they add.