If you love chopped salads then you’re going to love this Mediterranean Chopped Salad. It’s full of delicious ingredients, it’s fresh, healthy and tastes amazing. It’s the perfect salad for any meal!
I absolutely love a good chopped salad. What about you? There is just something about them that I love. I mean, I know they’re not chocolate chip cookies or anything, but when salads are as good as this one is, then I’m totally on board. This Mediterranean Chopped Salad is one of the best chopped salads I’ve ever had.
Maybe I love chopped salads so much because with everything being cut into small pieces, they’re easy to eat and you get a bit of everything in every bite.
This salad really strikes a perfect balance. It’s got protein and substance from the chickpeas and crunch and texture from the veggies. It’s loaded with with simple vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions mixed with chickpeas, feta cheese and Kalamata olives and tossed in a simple dressing. It’s light, refreshing and so good for you.
HERE’S THE LINE UP OF SIMPLE SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- Lettuce. Romaine is the perfect lettuce to use for this because it’s crispy and hearty.
- Cucumber. You can use any cucumber you like, but I like to use English cucumbers because they have tiny seeds and the skin usually isn’t bitter. If you use a regular cucumber you will want to take the seeds out and peel it.
- Tomatoes. Cherry or grape tomatoes work perfectly for this salad.
- Red onions. I chop mine pretty small so they blend into the salad well and aren’t so overpowering. If you’re not a fan of onions, feel free to leave them off or add just a few.
- Chickpeas. Canned chickpeas work perfectly. Be sure and rinse them.
- Kalamata olives. These are the perfect olive for this salad. I love how salty they are. I know some people don’t love them, so feel free to use black olives if you prefer those or just leave them out.
- Feta cheese. Adds amazing flavor and a bit of creaminess.
The salad dressing is delicious and simple. Just three ingredients . . . vinegar, garlic and oil. You whisk them together and pour them over the ingredients and toss. It’s pretty dang easy.
This salad is the perfect salad to serve along with any meal, but one of my favorite meals to serve it with is my Greek Chicken Souvlaki . . . honestly it might be one of my favorite meals ever.
MAKE IT A MAIN DISH . .
You could easily add some grilled chopped chicken to this salad and you’ve got a delicious, well-rounded meal. Serve it with warm pita bread or some delicious crusty bread and your dinner is complete.
You’re going to love this one!Print
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (see notes)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt (I use kosher)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup red onion, minced (I do a 1/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1 romaine heart, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Ground black pepper
- Combine cucumber, tomatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl, toss together and then set the bowl over a colander and let stand 15 minutes.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, and garlic together in large bowl. Add drained cucumber and tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, onion, and parsley then toss and let stand for 10 to 20 minutes in the fridge (this allows the flavors to blend together).
- Add romaine and feta cheese and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if needed and serve.
- I use English cucumbers and don’t peel or seed them.
Recipe Source: America’s Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook