This Mexican Breakfast Casserole is packed with so much flavor and goodness. It might just be one of my favorite breakfast casseroles ever. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner!
You guys, I have made a lot of breakfast casseroles in my day, and I’m not trying to brag or anything, but this Mexican Breakfast Casserole is pretty amazing! Some of my boys have declared it their new favorite. I think once you try this scrumptious casserole, you might be saying the same thing.
We love this tater tot breakfast casserole and it still ranks right up at the top for all of us, but we’re really loving this Mexican casserole right now. About 99% percent of the time I throw salsa on top of my breakfast casserole, so I thought why not add a layer of salsa right into the casserole. Turns out it is amazing and takes breakfast casserole to a whole new level.
With General Conference this weekend, I’ll be making big breakfast spreads both Saturday and Sunday mornings. If you will be too, then you need to give this casserole a try. You’re going to love it.
HOW SPICY IS THIS?
It all depends on the salsa you use. If you want this to be on the super hot side, then use your favorite hot salsa. You can also use pepper jack cheese in place of the colby jack if you’re wanting even more kick. But if you’re a little bit of a whimp like me when it comes to heat level in foods, then go for a more mild salsa.
CAN THIS MEXICAN BREAKFAST BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, absolutely. You can assembly the entire casserole and then cover it with foil and put it in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to eat, just uncover it and throw it in your preheated oven and let it cook according to the directions. It may need an extra 5 or 10 minutes, so just keep an eye on it.
THERE IS SO MUCH TO LOVE ABOUT THIS CASSEROLE . . .
- It’s simple to throw together last minute, but it can also be made ahead of time.
- It’s hearty, filling and loaded with so many good things.
- It’s a delicious and fantasic change of pace from your usual breakfast casserole.
- It reheats beautifully and makes the best leftovers.
Top it with sour cream, avocado, fresh cilantro, more salsa, etc., or keep it simple and just eat it as is. However you decide to garnish it, it’s going to be delicious.
Other breakfast dishes you might love . . . .
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes (I use Simply Potatoes)
- 2 cans (4 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 cup salsa (use your favorite)
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain again grease and set aside.
- Spread the hash browns evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Next spread the green chilies, followed by the salsa, the sausage and finally the cheese. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Pour over the layered ingredients.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are set in center, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. If desired, serve with warm tortillas, sour cream and additional salsa.
- Category: Breakfast
Recipe Source: 5 Boys Baker