Warm up with this delicious Minestrone Soup! This fabulous minestrone soup recipe is healthy, easy to make, and tastes incredible. Perfect for fall and winter nights.
I posted this Minestrone soup back in February of 2013 and am bringing it back into the spotlight today with updated photos and a few adjustments to the recipe (which have made it even better!). It’s crazy to think I’ve been blogging this long (yikes)! It’s also terrifying and embarrassing to look back as some of my photos.
This soup has been one of my favorites for years. Even my picky eaters love this soup!
There are plenty of versions and recipes of minestrone soup out there, but I’m putting a huge shoutout for this recipe because it’s absolutely fantastic! One of the things of I love about this recipe is the can of bean with bacon soup that it calls for. Now I know that might seem a bit unusual, but trust me it works! The soup adds a bit of smokiness and incredible flavor to the minestrone.
It’s full of veggies, beans and a bit of pasta. It’s absolutely fantastic! Serve it with a sprinkling of shredded parmesan cheese and some crusty bread/rolls or cornbread and you have yourself a fantastic meal. Chocolate chip cookies for dessert are optional, but highly recommended.
So many reasons to love this soup!
- HEARTY & FILLING. This minestrone soup is a complete meal. You’ve got your protein from both the sausage & white beans, plus tons of tasty veggies! Enjoy with some crusty bread or homemade cornbread and you have the perfect meal!
- FLAVORFUL & TASTY. The browned sausage starts as a base flavor, then the veggies, tomatoes and seasonings add even more incredible flavor. This soup is anything but boring and bland.
- WARM & COMFORTING. Snuggling up with a hot bowl of this delicious minestrone will help get you through these long, cold winter nights.
- PERFECT FOR LEFTOVERS. If you don’t finish off this soup the first day, it’s perfect for leftovers because it’s even better the next day.
I’ve been making this for years and love it even more each time I make it!
Here is what you’ll need for this minestrone:
- Sausage- adds protein and flavor (you can use regular pork sausage or Italian sausage).
- Onion, carrot, and celery – delicious veggies that help make the base of this soup.
- Beef broth – store bought or homemade is fine.
- Can of bean with bacon soup – adds a smokiness and amazing flavor to this soup.
- Diced tomatoes – a can of fire roasted and Italian adds even more flavor.
- Sugar – helps reduce the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Garlic – adds an additional depth of flavor to this soup.
- Beans – I love using white beans, but navy beans, cannellini beans and red kidney beans all work great!
- oregano, salt and pepper – enhances the flavor.
- Small pasta – I love using elbow pasta, but ditalini or small shells will work great too.
This soup is a keeper
Recipe source: Adapted from the Essential Mormon Celebrations Cookbook
(Originally posted February 4, 2013)