This Monte Cristo Casserole has layers of ham, turkey and Swiss cheese all baked into one delicious casserole. Serve it with your favorite jam or maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar! It’s as good as the classic monte Cristo sandwich.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French or Italian bread, cut into 18–20 slices
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced deli turkey
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half & half
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated or ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground if you have it)
- Grated Swiss or gruyere cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a greased 13×9-in. baking dish with half of the bread. Spread mustard over bread (if using). Layer with ham, cheese, turkey and top with remaining bread slices(dish will be full).
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, nutmeg and pepper. Pour over bread. Top with grated Swiss or gruyere cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and your favorite jam or maple syrup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast