These Oatmeal Carmelitas are the best ever! An oatmeal cookie base with a thick layer of caramel, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. You’re going to be hooked after one bite!
I posted the recipe for these Oatmeal Carmelitas over seven years ago and decided it was time to bring them back into the spotlight and give them a much needed a facelift.
These Oatmeal Carmelitas are one of my all time favorite bar cookies in the history of ever! Oatmeal, caramel, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips . . . I mean really, what’s not to love?
I’m sure you’ve probably made them before and might even have your own recipe, but this recipe is a family favorite. We love the butterscotch chips in them, they take them to a whole new level. Whenever these are brought to a family party, they are gone in seconds.
With the holidays approaching all too fast, these are a perfect cookie for cookie exchanges and holiday parties. You’ll quickly become everyone’s new BFF wherever you take these.
TIPS FOR OATMEAL CARMELITAS:
- When you pour the caramel on, leave about 1/2 inch space from the edge.
- As soon as these come out of the oven, run a knife around the edges of the pan. This will loosen any caramel that has oozed out during baking.
- To make these bars even easier, you can use a jar (14 -17 oz) of store bought caramel sauce instead of melting caramels. When I have done this, my favorite to use is Mrs. Richardsons Butterscotch Caramel Topping. (*I highly recommend melting the caramels though, its’ worth the effort)
- You can put these in the fridge to speed up the cooling process.
- Make sure these are completely cool before cutting them.
- You can use milk or semisweet chocolate chips in these bars. I prefer the semisweet because these are a pretty sweet bar cookie with the caramel layer, so the semisweet chocolate chips help offset the sweetness a little bit.
Oh boy do I love these bars. But, let’s be honest, I love anything with caramel and chocolate.
These are probably one of my favorite bar cookies that I make. I’m not sure what it is about them, but these cookies rock, or as my boys would say “they’re sick” (in case you’re wondering, that is their way of saying they are REALLY GOOD!).
The best part about them is they have oatmeal in them so they have to be some what healthy . . .at least that’s what I keep telling myself every time I dive in for another one.Print
Originally posted March 8, 2012