Wow have I been a slacker or what?
Life is busy at my house right now. I am trying to get my oldest son ready to leave on his mission. There is a lot of things to do. Which is the reason for the lack of posts lately. My apologies.
But then again, maybe no one even reads this blog so it doesn’t matter that I haven’t posted much lately.
I’m sharing today a recipe for an easy, yummy, moist chocolate cake. I threw it together a couple of weeks ago for our Sunday dessert and it was even better than I thought it would be. It reminds me a lot of a picnic cake recipe I have that I got from my friend Heather.
This oatmeal cake calls for chocolate chips and nuts (optional) to be sprinkled on top, but I made it like the topping on picnic cake, which is chocolate chips and brown sugar. Absolutely dee-lish-ous!! Trust me you can’t go wrong with chocolate chips and brown sugar sprinkled on top. If you love nuts on things (which I don’t), you could sprinkle all three on top.Print
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (, beaten)
- 2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pkg. chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts ((optional))
- Place oatmeal in a bowl. Pour boiling water over oatmeal and let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Remove pan from heat.
- Add brown sugar, white sugar to the butter and stir until well blended.
- Add eggs and oatmeal mixture.
- In a separate bowl, heat baking chocolate in microwave just until melted. Add to mixture
- Blend dry ingredients together and add to mixture.
- Stir in half of the chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle top with remaining chocolate chips and nuts (Optional. I use 1 cup brown sugar on top instead of nuts. . .trust me it’s YUMMY!)
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Recipe Source: The Essential Mormon Cookbook