These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars with Browned Butter Frosting are loaded with oats, milk and semisweet chocolate chips and topped with the most delicious browned butter frosting. Perfect for potlucks, picnics, BBQs, or any occasion.
I hope everyone had a fabulous Memorial Day Weekend. We spent it down in St. George where I was hoping for blue skies and sunshine. Instead we had cloudy skies and rain off and on. . . oh well, it’s still always nice to get away.
I don’t know what it is about oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but I am a sucker for them. Ok, who am I kidding? I’m a sucker for any and all cookies, but oatmeal chocolate chip kind of make me weak in the knees.
So naturally, when I saw this recipe over at Buns in My Oven, I jumped on the chance to make them. In fact, I’ve made them three times now. I guess you could saw we kind of liked them. I decided to take them up another notch and add a layer of browned butter frosting because isn’t everything better with browned butter frosting?!?
It was a pretty smart decision. My son Braydon told me they needed even more frosting . . .yes, he’s definitely my son.
These are so simple to make. There’s no creaming, no sifting, no chilling, etc., you just dump everything in your mixer and turn it on. Easy peasy. Who doesn’t love the convenience and ease of bar cookies? The frosting is totally optional, but highly recommended. But just know, they are pretty dang fabulous without the frosting too.
I guess if you’re a raisin lover, you could put raisins in instead of the chocolate chips, but why would you want to ruin a good thing? I’m just sayin’.Print
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars with Browned Butter Frosting
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups butter, melted
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Browned Butter Frosting: (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 5–6 Tbsp. half-n-half (depending on the consistency you want)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla, eggs and melted butter. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Bars should look slightly underdone.
- Let cool before frosting.
- In a small saucepan, brown butter over medium heat until golden brown in color and golden brown flecks appear. Butter will become a little foamy, stir occasionally to make butter cook evenly. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and half-n-half. Stir until a smooth. Spread onto cooled bars.
- These bars are delicious on their own, but the frosting takes them to next level good. If you don’t want to added sweetness, go ahead and leave the frosting off.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Brownies & Bars
Recipe Source: Buns in My Oven
These were amazing! Way too much liquid for my taste in the frosting. It was more of a glaze. (I used about 6 Tbsp.) I ended up putting in at least another cup of sugar. I didn’t have half/half or cream so I used buttermilk. It was really good.
CgrChrist Tyrell says
So good, Jodi! Lots of compliments at work today! That browned butter frosting is a perfect topping for these. Or probably for any bar! Moist, chewy, and perfect for this Fat Tuesday!
Thanks my friend! I agree, that frosting would be good on anything!
Didn’t work for me ): not sure why!
Sorry to hear these didn’t turn out for you Afton. I’m not sure why. Other readers have loved them and didn’t have any problems with them. Again, I’m really sorry!
I loved these. I’ll bake them with less time the next time I make them. Frosting is excellent.
Thanks Sharon! So happy to hear you loved this and yes, the frosting is excellent!
Bars were really good. They were very moist and the perfect sweetness. Tried the frosting, it had a good flavor but I personally don’t think the bars needed anything extra. Ended up not icing the bars and saved frosting for later.
Absolutely evil. Cannot stop eating these. Simply delicious