I hope everyone had a fabulous Memorial Day Weekend. We spent it down in St. George where I was hoping for blue skies and sunshine. Instead we had cloudy skies and rain off and on. . . oh well, it’s still always nice to get away.
I don’t know what it is about oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but I am a sucker for them. Ok, who am I kidding? I’m a sucker for any and all cookies, but oatmeal chocolate chip kind of make me weak in the knees.
So naturally, when I saw this recipe over at Buns in My Oven, I jumped on the chance to make them. In fact, I’ve made them three times now. I guess you could saw we kind of liked them. I decided to take them up another notch and add a layer of browned butter frosting because isn’t everything better with browned butter frosting?!?
It was a pretty smart decision. My son Braydon told me they needed even more frosting . . .yes, he’s definitely my son.
These are so simple to make. There’s no creaming, no sifting, no chilling, etc., you just dump everything in your mixer and turn it on. Easy peasy. Who doesn’t love the convenience and ease of bar cookies? The frosting is totally optional, but highly recommended. But just know, they are pretty dang fabulous without the frosting too.Print
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups butter (, melted)
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Browned Butter Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 5–6 Tbsp. half-n-half ((depending on the consistency you want))
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla, eggs and melted butter. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Bars should look slightly underdone.
- Let cool before frosting.
- To make frosting: In a small saucepan, brown butter over medium heat until golden brown in color and golden brown flecks appear. Butter will become a little foamy, stir occasionally to make butter cook evenly. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and half-n-half. Stir until a smooth. Spread onto cooled bars.
Recipe Source: Buns in My Oven