This oatmeal spice cake is probably one of my most favorite cakes ever. There really is nothing fancy about it, but we all love it. I’m sure it’s probably because of the browned butter frosting. Honestly, you could slather some browned butter frosting on a piece of liver and I probably would eat it. The stuff is insanely good.
This cake is moist, has great flavor and is simple to make. It gets rave reviews any time I take it anywhere. I love it because it is so quick to throw together and I always have the ingredients on hand. If you ever need a fast and easy delicious dessert then this cake is for you.
I found this recipe several years ago over at my cute blogging friend Mel’s website. She and her four sisters have some yummy, yummy recipes. Mel is also the mom of 5 boys and she loves to cook. I wish we lived by each other. I know I would learn so much from her.
Remember this oatmeal spice cake with browned butter frosting next time you’re in a pinch and need something delicious in a hurry, you won’t be sorry you made this.
Recipe Source: The Sisters CafePrint
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
Browned Butter Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 –6 tablespoons half and half
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Combine all cake ingredients in a large bowl of an electric mixer, mix on low for about 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Increase speed to high and mix for 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Don’t overbake or cake will be dry!) Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Prepare browned butter frosting by heating butter over medium heat until a light golden brown. Transfer to a medium size bowl and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Mix in powdered sugar, vanilla and half and half. Continue mixing until smooth and spreadable (you may need to add more half and half to get it to the consistency you want).
- Category: Cakes & Cupcakes