I’m pretty sure it was just the other day that my boys running around like mad men hoarding as much Easter candy as they could get their hands on at our annual Easter egg hunt. This entire year is flying by at warp speed. I really don’t appreciate it.
Anyway, let’s talk food. This dish is fabulous. It’s one of those start-to-finish-skillet meals that make dinner a snap. I’ll try and refrain from gushing about how much I love skillet meals because I’m sure you probably know by now. These one-pan chicken burritos rocked our table the other night and then again two nights later. I couldn’t help myself. It’s simple, amazingly delicious and ALL my boys loved it! I think Braydon even ate it without picking out all the tomatoes, which is a HUGE feat for him.
This is the perfect weeknight meal for so many reasons. It’s quick, scrumptious, dirties only one pan, and pretty darn healthy just to name a few. I love quick meals like this because now that my boys are back in school, some nights are just a rat race trying to make sure homework is done, piano is practiced and after school chores are completed.
You’ve really got to try this.
P.S. I made a batch of my yummy homemade cafe rio dressing which we drizzled over this and it was completely fabulous!Print
Super easy and super delicious, these one-pan chicken burrito bowls will become a favorite!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp. of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of diced yellow onion
- 1 cup of uncooked extra-long grain rice
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained (I used petite diced)
- 1 15- oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 2 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 2 cups of colby jack, monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and pepper
- freshly diced tomatoes
- sour cream
- In a 12-inch nonstick skilled, sauté onions in 2 tablespoon of olive oil until they start to soften.
- Season diced chicken with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Add chicken to pan and cook over medium high heat until chicken has started to brown.
- Move chicken to one side of pan, in the other side of the pan add an additional tablespoon of olive oil and sauté uncooked rice for about 2 minutes or just until some grains start to turn golden brown.
- Stir in black beans, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, salsa verde and garlic powder, chili powder and cumin.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook about 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese, recover and let set for 2-3 off heat to melt cheese.
- Garnish with fresh tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream and avocados
- Category: Chicken/Poultry
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from No. 2 Pencil
I linked up at Buns in My Oven