I bought a cupcake magazine a couple weeks ago at Sam’s Club. I tried to walk past the magazines without looking, but somehow my eyes wandered and the big, bold letters that spelled CUPCAKES made me stop in my tracks. I picked up the magazine, started flipping through it’s pages and within seconds all my willpower was out the door (see, I told you I have a problem!).
I loved creamsicles as a kid (who am I kidding, I still love them) so when I saw this recipe I knew they would be one of the first ones to try. I made them for my son’s 16th birthday party and they did not disappoint! LOVED THEM! I will definitely be making these again.Print
- 1 3- ounce package orange-flavor gelatin
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 4- serving-size package cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Popsicle sticks ((optional))
- CREAM POP FROSTING
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese (, softened)
- 1/2 cup butter (, softened)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. reserved orange gelatin
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- Few drops orange food coloring ((optional))
- 5 cups powdered sugar ((more or less depending on the consistency you like))
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-seven 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with foil bake cups. Set aside 2 teaspoons of the gelatin for the Cream Pop Frosting.
- In a mixing bowl beat the remaining gelatin, the cake mix, pudding mix, orange juice, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Spoon orange-flavor Cream Pop Frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Spoon the vanilla-flavor Cream Pop Frosting into another pastry bag fitted with a small star tip. Pipe orange frosting onto each cupcake to cover the top. Pipe a medium-size star of white frosting onto each cupcake.
- If desired, stick a popsicle stick into the top of each cupcake
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.
- Transfer one-fourth of the frosting to a small bowl; beat in 1/4 tsp. vanilla.
- To the remaining bowl of Cream Cheese Frosting add the reserved orange gelatin from the cupcakes and the orange peel. If desired, add a few drops orange food coloring. Beat to combine.
The frosting is amazing!