Oven Baked Ground Chicken Tacos are the perfect, delicious weeknight dinner. They are simple to make, taste amazing and are going to become a family favorite!
(Originally published April 13, 2020)
Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. It was definitely strange not being with all my family on Easter Sunday. But we still had a great day and just made the best of it being stuck at home.
Taco Tuesday just got even more exciting my friends because today I am sharing these delicious Oven Baked Ground Chicken Tacos. It’s no secret we love any kind of Mexican food at our house, but tacos especially rank right up there at the top of the favorite’s list, especially for Parker.
These Oven Baked Ground Chicken Tacos are unbelievably good. They couldn’t be simpler to make and come together in really no time at all. The great thing about them is if you’ve got picky eaters, then they can just eat them as is. But for the people who have good taste, they can pile on whatever toppings they love and however much they want.
OVEN BAKED GROUND CHICKEN TACOS ARE SO SIMPLE TO MAKE . . .
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray
- Cook ground chicken in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Drain any liquid and return to heat.
- Add black beans, salsa, garlic powder, chicken taco seasoning and water. Mix until well combined and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Line taco shells in prepared baking dish (10 to 12 will fit). Bake the taco shells for 5 minutes by themselves to allow them to crisp up. Divide chicken mixture equally among taco shells.
- Top each taco generously with grated cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
DO I HAVE TO PRE-BAKE THE SHELLS?
Baking the shells by themselves for a few minutes does help the shells stay crispier after the filling has been put in them. But if you don’t want that extra step, the tacos will be fine and still delicious. Just be ready to eat them when they come out of the oven.
If you have leftover tacos, store them in the fridge and eat them the next day. The shells will be soggy for sure, but I just scoop the chicken filling out of each shell and reheat it and use it to make a taco salad. You could also just put the chicken mixture in a fresh taco shell
CHICKEN TACO TOPPING IDEAS:
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- sliced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- diced avocado or guacamole
- sliced olives
I’d love to hear back from you if you give these a try. I hope you all have a great week and are staying safe!Print
Oven Baked Ground Chicken Tacos
Oven Baked Ground Chicken Tacos are the perfect, delicious weeknight dinner. They are simple to make, taste amazing and are going to become a family favorite! ♡
- 1 pkg. (16 oz) ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pkg. (1 oz) chicken taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Colby jack cheese
- 1 pkg. hard shell tacos
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground chicken until cooked through. Drain any liquid and return to heat. Add black beans, salsa, garlic powder, chicken taco seasoning and water. Mix until well combined and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Line taco shells in prepared baking dish (10 to 12 will fit). Bake the taco shells for 5 minutes by themselves to allow them to crisp up. Remove from the oven.
- Divide chicken filling equally among taco shells Fill each taco shell with meat . Top with grated cheese and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- My absolute favorite salsa to use for these tacos is Trader Joe’s Salsa Autentica (white label with red writing and a yellow lid), but go ahead and use whatever is your favorite. I’ve also used my homemade salsa in these and they’re delicious.
- Category: Main Dishes
Absolutely delicious! These were SUPER flavorful and everyone at the table gobbled them up. Great recipe, thank you!
Hi Allie! So happy you made and loved these tacos. Thanks for letting me know!