- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes ((about 2 1/2 cups))
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound linguine or spaghetti noodles
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, (grated (about 1/2 cup), plus extra for serving)
- Fresh basil for garnish, (optional)
- Toast almonds in small skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until pale golden and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor, process cooled almonds, tomatoes, basil, garlic, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes and salt until smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil, about 30 seconds. Set pesto aside.
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water; drain pasta and return to the pot.
- Stir in the pesto and 1/2 cup Parmesan into the cooked pasta, adjusting consistency with reserved pasta cooking water so that pesto coats pasta. Serve with extra Parmesan, if desired.