This Pepper Jack Hash Brown Casserole is absolute comfort food. Hash browns, whipping cream, butter, sour cream, and tons of pepper jack cheese. . . seriously this is a game changer.
(Originally published September 20, 2021)
Hold on my friends, because this Pepper Jack Hash Brown Casserole is going to rock your world. It’s like funeral potatoes and/or hash brown casserole on steroids and it is incredibly delicious!
Whipping cream, sour cream, melted butter, pepper jack cheese, potato chips, bacon, Parmesan cheese. . . that list of ingredients right there should be enough to tell you that these potatoes are phenomenal!
My boys truly went bonkers over these potatoes. They ate them for dinner, then the next morning heated some up for breakfast and then again for lunch. I am 100% sure that we all could have eaten an entire pan on our own.
When I mentioned to Braydon that I wasn’t in love with how the photos turned out so I might make them again, he told me that was an excellent idea (lol).
Hash browns folded into a creamy sauce, made ooey-gooey with both zesty pepper jack and Parmesan, it’s honestly everything you could ever want in a casserole. The crunchy topping is just the grand finale on top. And did I mention there is bacon in the topping?
This casserole is loaded with so much flavor! The pepper jack cheese gives this just a bit of heat and sets it apart from any other hash brown casserole you’ve ever eaten. Now if you’re not a fan of pepper jack cheese, feel free to substitute Monterey jack, but you’ll be missing out. Whatever you do though, please don’t skip the topping, it really puts this casserole over the top!
This casserole starts with store-bought hash browns which makes it so easy to throw together. You fold the hash browns into a mixture of cream of chicken soup (sorry, but not sorry), pepper jack cheese, heavy cream, melted butter, sour cream, and Parmesan. There is a whole lot of creaminess going on here.
How to make Pepper Jack Hash Brown Casserole
One of the best things about this casserole (other than it’s just plain delicious) is how simple and fast it is to throw together. It’s basically one of those dump and go recipes.
- Combine all the potato ingredients in a large bowl and mix together well.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 pan.
- Mix the topping ingredients together and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Should I thaw the hash browns before cooking?
For this recipe I always start with thawed or fresh hash browns. My favorite brand to use is the Simple Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns. They are fresh, not frozen. The package is only 20 oz so I use 1 1/2 packages of them.
Do I have to use pepper jack cheese?
Well, since this is called pepper jack hash browns, I would say technically yes you need to (lol), but if you don’t like it then go ahead and use whatever you like. Cheddar or sharp cheddar would work great. With that being said, I have to say that the pepper jack cheese it what sets this apart from any other hash brown casserole. It is fantastic in this and I wouldn’t use any other kind. One more thing, I have made this using regular pepper jack cheese and also use a triple pepper jack cheese. We absolutely loved it even more with the triple pepper jack cheese. Yes, it definitely has more kick, but it is soooo good (and this is coming from me who is a whimp when it comes to heat/kick in food).
You guys are going to love these and with the holidays just around the corner, these will make a perfect side dish for any holiday get together.
Enjoy and be sure and follow me on Instagram @jodi_lud_5boysbaker and tag me when you make any of my recipes.Print
Pepper Jack Hash Brown Casserole
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 to 15 servings 1x
This Pepper Jack Hash Brown Casserole is absolute comfort food. Hashbrowns, whipping cream, butter, sour cream, and tons of pepper jack cheese. . . seriously this is a game changer.
- 1 package (30 ounces) shredded hash brown potatoes, see note
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1–1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crushed potato chips, I use salt & pepper kettle chips
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9x13x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, cream of chicken soup, pepper jack cheese, whipping cream, butter, sour cream, Parmesan, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Spoon potato mixture into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- In a small bowl combine crushed potato chips, bacon, Parmesan cheese and paprika. Mix until combined and sprinkle evenly over potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Recipe Source: Taste of Home
This looks SO good!! I am going to make it this weekend for my daughter and her boyfriend when they come stay with us. I think it’s going to be a hit! 🙂