- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream (or milk)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups crushed peppermint candy cane
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 to 7 tablespoons of whipping cream or half & half (enough to get to the desired consistency)
- 3 to 4 drops of peppermint oil or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract (adjust to your liking)
- Additional crushed candy cane (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Line your cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine butter, oil, both sugars, and whipping cream (or milk), and cream together. Add eggs, vanilla, salt, baking soda and cream of tarter. Mix until combined (about 1 minute).
- With mixer on low, add in flour and mix until combined. Add in the crushed candy cane and mix on low just until candy cane is evenly mixed in.
- Roll the dough into golf ball-size balls and place them 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Dip the bottom of a glass (about 2 1/2 inches wide) in some granulated sugar and then gently press down on one of the cookie dough balls until about 1/2” thick.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until the bottom is lightly browned (don’t overbake these!). Let them cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with buttercream once they’re completely cooled.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix butter until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in the powdered sugar. Once incorporated, add the oil/extract and the cream/milk and increase the speed. Mix until smooth and creamy, adding as much cream (or half & half) as needed to get the consistency you want. Continue mixing until frosting is smooth and creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies