These Peppermint Meltaway Cookies are little spin on my family’s favorite holiday cookie. They melt in your mouth and the peppermint buttercream is divine!
December is going by waaay too fast, which means peppermint season will soon be over. That makes me a little sad because I’m not quite ready to say goodbye. Since I still have a little time, I’m throwing in one last peppermint recipe today. My apologies to any non-peppermint lovers out there.
A couple years back I posted a recipe meltaways, my family’s favorite holiday cookie. I’ve eaten more of these in my lifetime than I can even count. It wouldn’t be Christmas without them. I decided to do a little spin on them and instead of frosting them with the usual cream cheese frosting, I went for peppermint buttercream then topped with with a little crushed peppermint candy. It was definitely one of my better decisions.
These are so simple to make, they take about 5 minutes to whip up. Just four ingredients in the cookies, no chilling required and no rolling & cutting shapes. They’re pretty hard to mess up. These are perfect for cookie exchanges and/or any holiday parties you may have left.
I can’t even believe Christmas is in four days!!! How did that happen? I haven’t wrapped one single present, I think I’d better get busy.Print
Peppermint Meltaway Cookies
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cream (or more if you need it)
- 2 to 4 drops peppermint oil (or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract)
- Crushed peppermint candy or candy
- Red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 °
- Using an electric stand or hand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix until blended into a soft dough.
- Roll into small balls (a little smaller than a golf ball).
- Place onto cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes, or until bottom edges just barely begin to turn golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for a couple minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- In medium size bowl cream butter until smooth, add powdered sugar, peppermint oil/extract and one drop of red or pink food coloring. and cream until very light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Frost cooled cookie with frosting and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy, if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Cookies
Jodi, looks so yummy. But how much cornstarch is in the recipe? It just says 3/4. I checked back to the original melt-a-ways recipe and that one also only says 3/4. I would love to make these!
Oops, sorry about that Teresa, thanks for catching that. I fixed it, it’s 3/4 cup! Merry Christmas!