12 Days of Sugar – Day 2
These holiday Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats are a delicious twist in the classic treat. If you love peppermint bark and Rice Krispie Treats, then these are going to become a favorite They are perfect for the holidays!
Day 2 of my 12 Days of Sugar brings Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats. These are such a delicious twist on the childhood classic that we all love. Peppermint extract and crushed candy cane give these the perfect peppermint flavor. Then they’re drizzled with both white and semisweet melted chocolate chips and finished off with light dusting of more crushed candy cane.
With all the different Rice Krispie treat recipes I have on my site, it was only a matter of time before I did a peppermint version. I honestly can’t believe I hadn’t done it sooner.
Rice Krispie treats are always a crowd pleaser and this version will be too. These are perfect for the holidays and they’re so festive looking!
Here is what you will need:
- mini marshmallows
- Rice Krispies cereal
- peppermint extract
- candy canes
- chocolate chips (milk or semisweet)
- white chocolate chips
- vegetable oil
What size pan is best?
You have a few options. You can use an 8×8 or a 9×9 pan if you want thicker treats. If you like yours to be thinner, then use a 9×13 pan. The pan I used for these is slightly smaller than a 9×13 and you can see in the photos how thick mine turned out.
A few helpful tips:
- Use fresh marshmallows. The fresher the marshmallows, the softer and more enjoyable these will turn out. If you have a bag of marshmallows sitting in your pantry that aren’t so soft anymore, but you think you can still use them because you will be melting them . . . THINK AGAIN! They just don’t work well and your Rice Krispie treats will not be as gooey and delicious.
- Keep the heat low. Keep the heat as low as possible, let the marshmallows melt slowly, stirring frequently. Be sure to remove the pan from the heat when there are still a few marshmallows left that aren’t completely melted. After a few good stirs off the heat and stirring in the Rice Krispies, those marshmallows will all be melted and mixed in.
- Avoid pressing too hard. Gently press the. Rice Krispie mixture into the pan being sure not to “compact” the mixture in. You can use a greased spatula, lightly butter your hands or my favorite way is to get my hands slightly damp with cold water before pressing the mixture into the pan . . .works perfectly!
Once the Rice Krispie treats are cool, cut them into squares and sink your teeth into a bite of soft, chewy, peppermint perfection!Print
Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 to 15 bars 1x
- 1 bag (10 oz) mini marshmallows + 1 more cup, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract or 2 drops peppermint oil
- 3–4 medium-sized candy canes, crushed and divided
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (milk or semisweet)
- 3 tablespoons white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
- Butter an x8x, 9×9 or 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside. (For thicker bars us a 8×8 or 9×9 and for thinner bars use a 9×13.)
- In a large pot, melt the butter and 10 oz bag of marshmallows over low heat, stirring frequently. Continue stirring until marshmallows are almost completely melted. Remove from heat and add the Rice Krispies, remaining 1 cup of marshmallows, peppermint extract and 2 tablespoons of the crushed candy cane. Stir until combined. Press mixture into prepared pan.
- Put the white chocolate and 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15 second increments stirring in between until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Transfer the melted chocolate to a plastic bag, cut off the tip, and drizzle evenly over the bars. Repeat with the chocolate chips and remaining 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil. After you’ve drizzled both chocolates on top of the Rice Krispie treats, sprinkle the remaining crushed candy cane on top.
- Let chocolate set and cut into squares and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
Leave a Reply