Moist, delicious, and so simple to make this Picnic Cake is amazing! The brown sugar and chocolate chip topping is my favorite! You won’t be able to stop at just one piece.
Today I am sharing one of my all time favorite cake recipes. This Picnic Cake is quick, simple and so dang delicious. I honestly could eat the entire cake.
My friend Heather made this years ago and had brought it to a party or something. I had a piece of it and fell in love. The cake is so moist and the topping is to die for. . . brown sugar and chocolate chips, what’s not to love? She told me the recipe calls for a half cup of each but she uses double that — totally something I would do! She is a girl after my own heart!
One more thing, this cake has dates in it and honestly, you would never guess it in a million years! This cake is so moist and the topping is sweet and crunchy. You should really make this cake. I promise you will love it, I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t.Print
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips ((I use milk))
- Combine dates, boiling water and baking soda. Stir well and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in cooled date mixture. Add cinnamon, flour and salt and mix until well combined.
- Pour into a greased 9x 13 pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and chocolate chips evenly over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup chocolate chips for the topping. Feel free to use only a 1/2 cup of each, but I highly recommend you use 1 cup of each . . . totally worth all the extra calories it adds!