- 2 to 3 cups root beer, or more if needed
- 1 boneless pork roast, 3 to 4 lbs (*see notes)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 bottle (18 oz) Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 pkg. coleslaw
- Lightly season the roast on all sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place in your slow cooker.
- Pour the root beer over the pork and cook on high 5 to 6 hours or on low 7-8 hours, or until roast shreds easily. You want enough root beer so it comes up at least halfway on the pork. The meat doesn’t need to be fully covered with the root beer.
- Remove the roast and shred using 2 forks. Drain the liquid from your slow cooker and then return the meat to the slow cooker. (*If you want to save some of the liquid, you can and use it to moisten the pork. I don’t usually end up doing this.)
- Add about 2/3 to 3/4 cup of barbecue sauce to start and toss gently. Use more or less BBQ sauce depending on how “saucy” you want your pork.
- Turn slow cooker to low or warm and let meat heat back up for 20 to 30 mins.
- Serve on rolls with an extra drizzle of BBQ sauce and a spoonful of coleslaw (optional, but definitely makes them amazing!)
- In a small bowl, add the mayo, sugar and vinegar, whisk until smooth.
- Put coleslaw into a large bowl and pour dressing over. Toss until well combined. Refrigerate about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- I’ve made this pulled pork using the boneless pork sirloins roasts from Costco and also using boneless pork butt and/or pork shoulder. They all work great.
- Category: Pork