These Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting are loaded with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice and are absolutely delicious!
I am a total sucker for any and all things pumpkin. I absolutely love the stuff.
These cupcakes are my newest pumpkin love. Moist and absolutely delicious! Then if the cupcakes weren’t already good enough, you go and top them off with browned butter frosting. . . oh be still my heart!Now the key here is to not overbake these babies. You definitely want a few moist crumbs on the toothpick when you pull it out. You also want to make sure you let the browned butter cool completely before making the frosting. It changes the consistency of the frosting if you don’t and while I have some recipes that call for you to immediately add the powdered sugar once the butter has browned, this one you really need to make sure the butter is cool. The frosting is a much better consistency for frosting the cupcakes.Print
The recipe says this makes 24, but I easily got 26. You definitely don’t want to overfill your cupcake tins. Filling them 2/3 full is plenty. If you brown the butter for the frosting before you start making the cupcakes, this gives it time to cool so by the time the cupcakes have cooked and cooled, you are ready to make the frosting.
- 1 cup butter (, softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter (, browned)
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4 to 6 tablespoons half-n-half ((or milk is fine))
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 -26 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Scrape down sides as needed. Add vanilla and eggs, one a time, beating well after each.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the pumpkin puree, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full.
- Bake about 20, minutes or until just a few moist crumbs appear on a toothpick that’s been inserted. (DON’T OVERBAKE!) Let cupcakes cook in the pan for about five minutes and then remove to a wire rack. Frost with browned butter frosting.
- For the frosting: brown the butter by placing butter in a saucepan over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally to melt. Once melted, watch carefully, until butter foams and just turns a golden brown color (little brown bits will start to form around the sides and bottom of the pan) . Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool completely. (You can put it in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to speed this up if you’d like.)
- Once the browned butter as cooled, beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add powdered sugar and mix on low speed, add the half-n-half/milk, one tablespoon at a time until frosting is a spreadable consistency. Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
Recipe Source: Fall Baking Cookbook Magazine 2016