12 Days of Sugar – Day 8
Pumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce is decadent dessert that is bound to have you wanting a second piece. This dessert screams Christmas and your house will smell amazing while it’s baking.
We are on day 8 and boy do I have a good one for you today. This pumpkin gingerbread with caramel sauce is going to completely wow you! It is phenomenal! I have had this recipe bookmarked for years and FINALLY made it. You’re going to be so glad I did!
The holidays are just not complete without some kind of gingerbread recipe, right? This cake might be one of the best gingerbread cakes you’ve ever eaten. It’s dense, moist and perfectly spiced. Then you drizzle the caramel sauce on top and you’re in heaven! It takes the cake to a whole new level.
If you’re feeling really indulgent, then go ahead and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream on top. It doesn’t need it, but will only make it that much better.
Trust me when I say that this recipe is not one to be missed this holiday season! Even if you have no place to go, make this and treat yourself, you won’t regret it! You can make it ahead of time and just add the sauce on when you are ready to serve it! I do suggest warming each piece up before you serve it and make sure your caramel sauce is also warm.
How to Store Leftovers
If you’re lucky enough to have any left you can store this at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. Be sure to cover it with plastic wrap or put it in an airtight container. Store the caramel sauce in a separate container in the fridge.
To reheat it, put a piece in the microwave for about 20-25 seconds. Microwave the caramel sauce separately, for about 25 seconds and give it a stir. If it needs to be warmer put it back in the microwave in 10 second increments.
If you love gingerbread as much as I do, then you will also love this, gingerbread. It is served with butter sauce instead of caramel sauce and the “crumb mixture” is sprinkled on top rather than the bottom. They are both equally amazing!
I love the addition of pumpkin in this recipe I’m sharing today. Makes the cake slightly dense and so moist. The bottom “crust” is so good!
Your family will go nuts over this amazing cake. It is perfect for the holidays but it’s definitely worthy of being made year-round!
Pumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings 1x
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9×9 baking dish.
- Mix together flour and sugar. Use a pastry blender to mix in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Press 1 3/4 cups of this mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- To the remaining dry mixture add the baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves to crumb mixture and stir well.
- Add the buttermilk, molasses, pumpkin and egg and mix until well combined. Pour batter on top of crust in the baking pan.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with caramel sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Recipe Source: Worldwide Ward Cookbook
Leave a Reply