This Quick Cheese Bread is so delicious! It’s quick to make, no rise time, no kneading and no yeast required. It’s the perfect side dish for soups, salads or any main course!
Busy weekend around here. It was my son Zach’s last prom and him and his friends had dinner at our house. I love that they wanted to and I was so happy to fix the dinner for them. He’s got an awesome group of friends, I love them all. Their dates all looked gorgeous! The food turned out great and the tables were beautiful thanks to my friend Diane . . . you rock Diane!
Here is the Quick Cheese Bread I had planned on sharing last week but got the boot because of my mint cookies and cream blondies.
I totally made this on a whim the other night. I’d made some soup and wanted something other than breadsticks to go along with it. I pulled out my trusty Best of America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook and spotted this bread. I decided to give it a try and boy am I ever glad I did. I’ve had cheese rolls before, but never cheese bread and I’m telling you it was scrumptious! It’s moist and hearty and has cheese scattered throughout each slice. Then, to make it even better, it’s got a crunchy, cheesy crust . . . soooo good!
I’ve mentioned before that I love serving some type of bread with any meal and this bread is now one of my favorites and definitely is going to be in my bread rotation. Slather some butter on a slice and you will be in heaven. I think it would also be fabulous toasted and served along side some fried eggs for breakfast . . . Mmmm. Totally delicious.Print
Quick Cheese Bread
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese , shredded on the large holes of a box grater.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese , cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan evenly over the bottom, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, mustard, cayenne and black pepper. Stir in 3 more tablespoons of Parmesan and the cheddar cheese. In a medium size bowl, whisk the buttermilk, oil and egg together until smooth. Gently fold the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula. The batter will be thick – DON’T OVERMIX.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan evenly over the top. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool before slicing it.
- Can be wrapped in plastic and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Breads
Recipe Source: The Best of America’s Test Kitchen 2011
Leave a Reply