This Quick Sausage Ragu with Pasta is simple, so quick and absolutely delicious. Serve it with a green salad and some crusty bread and you have an amazing meal!
I’ve been on a pasta kick lately, I’m not sure why. Maybe because it’s quick, easy, delicious, my boys will always eat it and doesn’t require turning on my oven. Those are all pretty good reasons, don’t you think?
I made this Quick Sausage Ragu with Pasta the other night and after watching my boys eat this, I knew I knocked it out of the park with this recipe. We all devoured it. You will love this recipe because it is flavorful, delicious and absolutely so simple and fast to make (hence the name “quick sausage ragu”).
I checked two different stores and couldn’t find gemelli pasta, so I just used a box of campanelle which I already had. The recipe said the reason they used the gemelli was because it catches the meaty sauce well, but you could also use any tubular or molded pasta such as ziti, penne, or fusilli.
This is stuff is good, really good!Print
Quick Sausage Ragu with Pasta
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 (28-oz can) diced tomatoes
- 1 pound gemelli (or any tubular pasta)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sausage and cook, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until evaporated, about 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juice and bring to a simmer. Cook until sauce has thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain pasta and return it to the pot.
- Add sauce, Parmesan cheese and basil to pasta and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add reserved cooking water if needed. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese.
- I use cooking wine, but if you don’t want to use wine or cooking wine, just substitute with chicken broth.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian
Recipe Source: America’s Test Kitchen The Best Simple Recipes
This was YUMMY, quick and easy! I was hoping to take the leftovers to work for lunch the next day, but there wasn’t any!