- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon red gel paste food coloring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 2/3 cup bread flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup finely crushed peppermint candies (or candy canes)
- 1 tablespoon half & half (or a little more for the consistency you want)
- In a medium size saucepan, combine chocolate chips, butter and milk. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until chocolate and butter are melted. Remove from heat and whisk in brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each egg. Add food coloring and vanilla, stirring until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture, stirring to combine in as few strokes as possible. Let dough stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. (If dough is still too sticky to roll, refrigerate it for 10 to 15 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place remaining granulated sugar in a bowl and place powdered sugar in another bowl. Scoop dough about the size of a ping ball. Roll in granulated sugar, making sure you get a thick coat of it on each dough ball. Then roll balls in powdered sugar. Don’t shake off the excess.
- Place two inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Let cool on pans for 15 minutes.
- Spread buttercream on the flat side of half of the cookies. Place remaining cookies, flat side down, on top of buttercream. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar at low speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. (You can also use your hand mixer)
- Add crushed peppermint candies and half & half and mix well.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Category: Cookies