- 1 lb. mild breakfast sausage
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle of your favorite marinara sauce
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 8– oz. package cream cheese, room temp
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 box (16 oz) Penne pasta (I only used 3/4 of the box)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
- Spray a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage with the onion and garlic until the sausage is long longer pink. Drain any grease and add the bottle of marinara sauce. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the whipping cream, cream cheese, garlic and parmesan. Whisk together until smooth and thick (about 2-3 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After pasta is cooked, drain, and dump the cooked pasta into the bottom of the prepared 9×13 pan.
- Pour the white sauce over the cooked pasta and give a few little stirs to help the white sauce cover all the noodles. Next, pour the red sauce over the top of that and spread evenly. Evenly sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- I like my pasta dishes to be a little “wetter” so I only cooked about 3/4 of the box of pasta. I was a little worried after I poured the white sauce over the cooked pasta because it seemed like too much sauce for the amount of pasta, but after it baked, the sauce absorbed into the pasta and it was perfect. I wouldn’t have wanted any more pasta in it.
- The recipe calls for breakfast sausage which I used, but you could absolutely substitute mild or hot Italian sausage in its place.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pasta