This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is one of my favorite soup recipes. It’s loaded with flavor and is the perfect cozy, comforting dinner on these cold, winter nights. It’s creamy, delicious and full of so many good things.
After 12 straight days of nothing but sugar, I could use something a little savory and comforting, what about you?This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is the perfect thing to make.
Made with simple, fresh ingredients, this healthy and delightful soup might soon become a a favorite. Serve a warm bowl with a loaf of crusty bread, rustic dinner rolls or buttermilk cornbread for a cozy, cold-weather comfort meal!
Butternut squash is probably my all time favorite squash.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Butternut Squash Soup.
- Fresh produce: butternut squash, carrots and onions.
- Herbs and spices: cinnamon, ground sage, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Olive oil
- Liquids: chicken broth and coconut milk
This soup is so good.
Roasting the squash before adding it to the soup makes this soup incredibly flavorful, rich, and adds a natural sweetness. Just a few more simple ingredients and you have the most delicious, silky soup. Warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg add even more amazing flavor to this soup.
A few helpful tips for making Roasted Butternut Squash Soup:
- If you don’t want to worry about cutting up a whole squash, you can purchase peeled and diced squash in the product section of most grocery stores. It’s a shortcut that will save you some time. You will need about 4 to 5 cups.
- If you want your soup a little sweeter add more brown sugar, a teaspoon at a time.
- You can adjust the amount of chicken broth to get the desired consistency you want. Start with the 3 cups and add more if you want a thinner soup.
- Garnish with toppings for extra flavor and texture. Sour cream, herbs, croutons, and bacon are all delicious options.
I think butternut squash soup is the perfect fall and winter soup. In addition to being the perfect meal on it’s own, it’s the perfect side dish for the holidays and pairs and pairs well with so many other sides and/or main dishes.
I hope you love this soup as much as I do! It’s:
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled chopped into cubes (see notes)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream
- Toasted croutons
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Put squash, carrots, and onion onto baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for about 35-45 minutes on until soft and caramelized.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to food processor (or blender) with 1 cup of the chicken broth and puree until smooth and creamy, or until desired consistency is reached (you may need to do this in a couple batches).
- Pour the pureed mixture into a large saucepan. Add the remaining broth, coconut milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, sage, nutmeg and stir well. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. If the consistency of the soup is too thick, just thin it out with some water or more broth until you reach your desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with optional toppings.
- You want about 4 to 5 cups of peeled butternut squash cubes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
I can not wait to try this!
I can’t wait for you to try this either Linda! It’s delicious!