Zesty chicken, cilantro-lime rice, seasoned black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, and grated cheese all stuffed into large soft tortillas and then lightly browned in a skillet. These Seven Layer Chicken Burritos are absolutely scrumptious!
(Originally posted March 18, 2020)
These Seven Layer Chicken Burritos might just be one of my favorite meals I’ve made lately for so many reasons. They’re simple to make, have so many delicious ingredients, are pretty healthy and they taste amazing!
I don’t know about you, but when life seems unsettling and chaotic, I find comfort in food. And given the circumstances our country is in right now, I could use some good old comfort food (and lots of chocolate). These burritos definitely fall into that category for me.
The list of ingredients might seem long, but I promise these burritos are so simple to make. Using a rotisserie chicken is one of the things that makes these so simple to make.
These burritos are filled with seasoned chicken and black beans, cilantro lime rice, pico, sour cream, grated cheese and guacamole. . . seriously so much goodness in these.
CAN I MAKE THESE AHEAD OF TIME?
The chicken, rice, black beans, grated cheese and pico (or store bought) can all be made ahead of time and even up to the day before. If you’re making your own guacamole, I would hold off on making it until you’re close to being ready to assembly and cook these burritos. I don’t know about you, but I don’t love homemade guacamole after it’s sat in the fridge too long and starts to turn brown. Yes, I know it doesn’t happen immediately, so you can make the guac several hours ahead of time, but I wouldn’t make it the night before. When you’re ready to eat, just pull everything out of the fridge and assemble and cook the burritos.
CAN I FREEZE THESE BURRITOS?
Yes you can freeze these, but make sure you leave off the sour cream and guacamole (you can add them after you’ve thawed and cooked these).
To freeze the burritos: Assemble and wrap individually in plastic wrap and place them in a Ziploc bag and freeze.
To thaw the burritos: Place them in the fridge overnight and follow the cooking instructions as written. Top with the sour cream and guacamole.
TIPS FOR MAKING SEVEN LAYER CHICKEN BURRITOS:
- If you don’t have a rotisserie chicken, you can cook and shred your own chicken breasts. I would do about 2 large breasts.
- You can use Mexican or Spanish rice in place of the cilantro lime rice.
- If you’re not a fan of black beans, use pinto beans or even refried beans in this recipe.
- Drizzle with some of your favorite hot sauce If you want these to have a little kick.
- Watching your carbs? You can omit the tortilla and layer the ingredients in a bowl and make burrito bowls.
- These burritos are easily adaptable. Change up or leave off any of the ingredients you don’t care for.
Seven Layer Chicken Burritos
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 to 6 burritos 1x
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup salsa (or a little more if you want)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt (to taste)
Seasoned Black Beans:
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans
- 1/3 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Cilantro Lime Rice:
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- burrito sized tortillas (whole wheat tortillas are great too!)
- Monterey Jack, Cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- pico de gallo or salsa
- sour cream
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken, salsa, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder and salt and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the black beans, salsa, chili powder, cumin and garlic. Simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the hot cooked rice, melted butter, lime juice and cilantro. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
Assembling The Burritos:
- Heat and grease a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- To make the burritos, begin by spreading the middle of the tortilla with shredded cheese about 1 1/2 inches in from the edge. Then layer the chicken, rice, cheese, beans, guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream horizontally on top of the cheese staying within the bottom 2/3 of the cheese area as a guide.
- To wrap up the burritos, fold in the sides first and then fold the bottom edge of each tortilla over the fillings, keeping the ingredients tucked in as you go. Spray the burrito with cooking spray and place the burrito on seam side down in a heated skillet (medium to medium low heat) and grill for 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted and heated through. Flip over and cook the second side.
- To serve, cut the burrito in half and serve with your favorite hot sauces, salsas, guacamole and chips, if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes
Recipe Source: Adapted from onbetterliving.com
Leave a Reply