A buttery brown sugar crust, topped with sweetened condensed milk, milk chocolate and toffee bits, these Shortbread Chocolate Toffee Bars are to die for!
These Shortbread Chocolate Toffee Bars are perfectly evil!
I found this recipe a couple years ago on Pinterest and couldn’t wait to make them.
But, like most things I print off or pin from Pinterest, it got pushed to the bottom of the pile.
I finally got around to making these bars awhile back and let me just say, they looked absolutely nothing like the picture! So I either (1) completely botched the recipe (pretty sure I didn’t though) or (2) the picture posted was for a completely different recipe.
Whatever the case may be, it doesn’t really matter because these are ridiculously good. . . so good that I had to send most of the pan to work with my son.Apparently everyone at his office was dying over them and one of the managers said to Zach as he was holding one in his hand said “Zach, these should be called better than sex bars because these are better than sex!”
Zach declared them possibly the best cookie I’ve ever made and I thought Braydon was going to die over how good they are.
So just trust me, my boys, and everyone at Zach’s work that these bars completely rock!!!
If you’re on a diet, I highly suggest you break it and make these.
Also, I shared a another delicious recipe yesterday over at Life in the Lofthouse for Buffalo Chicken Taquitos. They’re so good and make the perfect, simple weeknight meal, so check them out.Print
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pkg. (11-12 oz) milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups Toffee Bits
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a 9×13 pan with foil and spray lightly with nonstick spray.
- Beat butter and sugar together until combined, 1-2 minutes (A stand mixer or hand mixer is fine. I use my KitchenAid stand mixer for these. Add flour and mix until combined (mixture will be on the dry side).
- Press into prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While crust is cooking, heat sweetened condensed milk and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Pour over slightly-cooled shortbread crust. Bake 12-15 minutes until filling is bubbly and lightly browned. Remove from oven and turn oven off.
- Immediately sprinkle milk chips on top of filling when it comes out of the oven. Place back in warm oven for 2 minutes until chips are shiny and soft. Carefully spread the chips over the filling with an off-set spatula.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits, pressing into milk chocolate.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. (I let mine cool several hours or sometimes overnight.)
You can use Heath bits, Chocolate covered Heath Bits or Skor bits, whatever you have on hand or can buy at your local grocery store.
The original recipe called for only 1 cup of sweetened condensed milk, but after a couple times of making these, I just started using the whole can because, why not? It’s not that much more and there is no such thing as too much sweetened condensed milk.
Recipe Source: Pinterest (found and printed this recipe years ago and now I can’t link back to where I got it from. . . sorry!)