This simple & delicious taco soup is not only simple, but it’s the best! It’s incredibly fast to throw together and uses basic pantry staples. Top it off with your favorite toppings and be ready to fall in love.
It’s definitely turning into soup weather here, so I thought it was about time I finally share my simple & delicious taco soup recipe. This is a good one and a recipe you will put on repeat, especially during the cold, wintry months ahead.
There isn’t any fancy about this recipe, but it tastes amazing and will warm you from head to toe. It’s definitely a fall and winter staple! But don’t get me wrong, it’s just as delicious during the hot summer months.
Don’t forget to pile on the toppings! We love our taco soup with Fritos, but you can also use tortilla chips or strips. Side note, if you’re not a fan of Fritos, I’m not sure we can be friends (lol)! If you’re one of those people who likes to keep things simple, then go right ahead and eat this with little or no toppings.
The list of ingredients is simple and I bet you already have everything you need. If you don’t you can easily make substitutions.
Here is what you will need:
- lean ground beef
- taco seasoning
- black pepper
- beef broth
- red kidney beans
- pinto beans
- fire-roasted tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- frozen corn
So many reasons to love this soup.
- A one-pot wonder. Raise your hand if you love them like I do. Seriously though, you brown your ground beef and then just dump everything in and let it simmer. Only having one pot to clean when you’re done is a beautiful thing.
- Customizable. This recipe is super easy to adapt based on what’s in your pantry. If you don’t have kidney beans, sub in black beans or great northern beans. If you don’t have the fire-roasted tomatoes, then use what you have (but do keep in mind the fire roasted tomatoes add so much flavor to this soup!).
- Healthy and nutritious. High in protein and fiber from the beef, beans and veggies. This soup is full of delicious ingredients that are good for you.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, this taco soup freezes so well. I like to freeze soup in Ziploc freezer bags and then lay the bags flat in my freezer. It thaws much quicker than when you put it in a bowl to freeze. Be sure to write on the bag the date and what it is. Also be sure to get all the air out before sealing up the bag.
Mmmmm, I could really use a bowl of this about now!
You’re going to love this!Print
Simple & Delicious Taco Soup
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pkg. (1 oz) or 3 tablespoons taco seasoning, homemade or store bought
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth, see notes
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinse
- 2 cans (15 oz) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- salt & pepper to taste, if needed
- grated cheese
- Fritos (a must!)
- sour cream
- chopped avocado
- In a large pot, add the beef and cook over medium-heat until browned. Drain, if needed Stir in taco seasoning and black pepper.
- Add the beef broth, kidney beans, pinto beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, green chiles and tomato sauce. Give it a good stir and then bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the frozen corn and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if needed/desired.
- Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings. Enjoy!
- Because I happen to have a couple picky eaters still living at home who turn their noses up to chunks of tomatoes, I pulse my tomatoes in my food processors for just a quick, couple pulses.
- If you like a “runnier” soup, then add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup more beef broth.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Wonderful cook says
This taco soup looks hearty and filling. I’ll have to try the recipe soon!