Slightly sweet and super delicious, these Simple Teriyaki Rice Bowls are fast and so easy to make. A healthy dish your whole family will love!
We got nailed with a snowstorm over the weekend. It dumped. My husband is still recovering from an accident he was in back in December so he can’t shovel or snow blow, so my boys got to do all the snow blowing and shoveling. . . lucky them. So while they were outside freezing, I stayed inside and baked cookies and sweet rolls, because isn’t that what you do when it’s a massive blizzard outside?
Sadly, it was a disappointing day in the kitchen. The raspberry sweet rolls I’ve been wanting to make forever and finally got around to, didn’t turn out so well. . .ugh! I was so bummed! I guess I’ll give them another try.
Thankfully these Simple Teriyaki Rice Bowls always turn out when I make them. They’re kind of impossible to mess up. Oh my heck, we absolutely love these things. They are fresh, simple, healthy and incredibly delicious. They are perfect for a quick weeknight meal. We could honestly eat these every week and not get tired of them. You could also use the meat mixture for lettuce wraps for an even healthier meal.Print
I usually one and a half the sauce recipe so that there is some left to drizzle over the rice bowls once we assemble them. If you do this, just pour about 2/3 of the sauce into the meat mixture and reserve about 1/3 of it to drizzle over the assembled rice bowls.
I have made these with both turkey and chicken, they are delicious using either one.
I highly suggest using sushi or sticky rice. It is our favorite with these.
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 2 large carrots (, peeled and grated)
- 2 green onions (, diced, for garnish (optional))
- Cooked white or brown rice
- Mix soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, sugars, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir with a whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons warm water and cornstarch until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Heat sauce over medium high heat. Slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture and simmer until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add ground turkey (or chicken), onion powder and garlic, cook until the meat is no longer pink. Add grated carrots and chopped broccoli and stir well.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over cooked meat mixture and stir. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon meat over rice. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Adapted slightly from Yellow Bliss Road
I linked up at: Buns In My Oven