Simple, fast and crazy delicious, this Skillet Baked Ziti will instantly become a favorite. It’s the perfect weeknight meal when you need something quick.
I know I’ve mentioned countless times how much I love skillet meals, so I’m forgive me for sounding like a broken record, but I love them and this Skillet Baked Ziti is the newest addition to my love list.
Besides the fact that skillet meals are quick, simple and so delicious, I love that there is only one pot to clean up after dinner.
This Skillet Baked Ziti completely blew all of us away. I figured it would be good, because 90% of ATK recipes I make I absolutely love (sorry ATK, there have been a few that did disappoint), but looking at the ingredients, there wasn’t much to it, not many seasonings to give it flavor, just basic stuff. Based on that, I wasn’t expecting anything spectacular. Holy moly was I wrong! This stuff is absolutely phenomenal. We all inhaled it and just kept saying this is sooo good, why is this sooo good?
You guys, this couldn’t be any easier to make. You put oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and salt in a large skillet. Heat it for about 1 minute and then add crushed tomatoes, uncooked pasta and some water. Finish it off with some cream, basil, and grated mozzarella cheese, and after a few minutes in the oven, it emerges as a perfectly cheesy, creamy, and oh-so comforting pasta dish.
You could certainly add some Italian sausage to it if you wanted to, but sometimes I love meatless meals. What about you?
Give this one a try, I promise this one will not disappoint!
Skillet Baked Ziti
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 minced garlic
- 1 /4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1 28– ounce can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 cups water
- 12 ounces ziti pasta (3 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 /2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup fresh minced basil
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 475.
- Combine oil, garlic, pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a 12-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet and cook over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, ziti and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook, stirring often and adjusting heat as needed to maintain vigorous simmer, until ziti is almost tender, 15-18 minutes.
- Stir in cream, Parmesan, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over ziti. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until cheese has melted and browned, about 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pasta
Recipe Source: Best of America’s Test Kitchen 2007
Tiffany Candrian says
Hi Jodi, made this tonight for dinner and it was a huge hit!! Loved how easy it was to make, and how yummy it was!! It will definitely be added to my go to recipes. Thank you! Hope you and your family are doing well!
Hi Tiff! So happy you guys loved this, thanks for letting me know. I hope you guys are all doing well too!